So pizza is usually something I like to take time over. Slowly kneading the dough, letting it prove for a couple of hours, kneading again, rolling out and topping with home-made sauce, delicious sliced vegetables and spicy sausages that I’ve cooked and sliced myself. I like to make three or four pizzas and have a few friends round so that a few people can get the benefit of all the work involved.
But sometimes you just wanna have a slice. And you don’t want to spend hours on it. And you don’t want a cardboardy, processed frozen pizza. And you don’t want to order it because it’s actually amazingly expensive to get take-away pizza, and also it might be midday on your day off and nobody’s delivering. This is the solution.
Preheat your oven to as hot as it will go. If you have a pizza stone or tile, stick that in the oven now too. I don’t have one, but I have two large non-stick cookie sheets. I put one of those in the oven to get really, really hot and put the other one aside, in lieu of a pizza paddle, to help me slide the uncooked pizza base onto the hot sheet.
Ingredients for one 12 inch quickie pizza:
1 heaping cup of plain flour
Half a cup of lukewarm water
Half a tablespoon of olive oil
1 package dry fast action yeast – 7g
3 tablespoons of tomato puree, mixed into a makeshift tomato sauce with a little water and a shake each of salt, pepper, green herbs and garlic powder
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Sliced mushrooms and German salami (optional and swappable for, well, anything else)
1. Put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle on the yeast and a large pinch of salt and stir. Make a well in the middle and pour in the oil and water. Using your hands, bring it together into a firm dough. If too dry, add a little more lukewarm water.
2. Remove to a floured board and knead for five minutes. This is quite strenuous work but hang on in there. Form into a ball and using a rolling pin, roll into a round. Transfer to a floured cold cookie sheet/baking tray/pizza paddle.
3. Top lightly with the quick tomato sauce, thinly sliced mushrooms, salami and mozzarella.
4. Working quickly, remove the hot cookie sheet/whatever from the oven. Slide the uncooked pizza onto its hot surface and put into the oven as soon as possible.
5. Allow to cook for 5-8 minutes, keeping an eye on it. Remove when risen, golden and bubbling. Enjoy!