These are tasty little beggars! Excuse my lack of exact measurements but I was making it up as I went along and didn’t weigh anything. This would make a nice vegetarian replacement for, say, a chop, in a meat/potatoes/vegetable type dinner where there’s a vegetarian present (who likes mushrooms). They’re tasty and have great texture – crunch on the outside and juicy garlicky mushroom meatiness inside. They’re a bit messy to prepare, but not time consuming. And fun.
8 button mushrooms (prob about 150g), medium sized, wiped, stalks removed and discarded
Some melted butter (maybe 3-4 tablespoons)
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 egg, beaten in a bowl
1 bowl of flour
1 bowl of breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and liberally brush a non-stick baking tray with butter.
2. Combine your crushed garlic and melted butter in a bowl, and set up a production line that goes (1) garlic butter (2) flour (3) egg (4) breadcrumbs.
See all the mess I was making?
3. Dip each mushroom first in the garlic butter, making sure some crushed garlic gets into the cavity. Then dredge in flour and give a good shake. Next, coat fully in the egg, turning so that it takes. Then, roll in the breadcrumbs til covered.
4. Lay them on the buttered baking tray and season with salt and pepper. I also reckon a little sprinkling of grated parmesan would be nice here.
5. Bake until crispy and golden, about 15-20 minutes and enjoy!